By: Patti Weaver

(Stillwater, Okla.) — A Stillwater man who remains jailed on $200,000 bail avoided a jury trial this week by pleading no contest last week to trying to kill his girlfriend on Labor Day of 2018.

Robert Dean Chipman, 37, does not have an agreement with the prosecution regarding his sentence for assault and battery with intent to kill, which carries a maximum penalty of life in prison.

Associate District Judge Stephen Kistler accepted his plea and ordered a background investigation of Chipman, who was scheduled to return to court on Dec. 3 for his sentencing.

In the Labor Day attack on the woman, Chipman admitted to Stillwater Police Officers T.J. Low and Ricardo Inciarte that “he had drunk alcohol and smoked marijuana in the past 24 hours,” Stillwater Police Detective John Paul Johnson wrote in an affidavit.

“Chipman had been located in Arrington Park, near 3rd and Arrington, after he called 911 himself. Chipman admitted to officers that he had assaulted, strangled, and beat (his girlfriend) with a board in an attempt to, and with intent to, kill her,” the affidavit alleged.

“He told officers that he choked (her) neck hard enough to try and make her head ‘pop off’ and when that did not kill her, he took a nearby board and slammed it into her neck — trying to sever her neck,” the affidavit alleged.

When the detective interviewed Chipman the day after his arrest, he said “he felt like (his girlfriend) was trying to stop him from starting a movement about ‘peace and love’ and she was always keeping him down, so when (she) threw hot coffee on him, it released seven years’ worth of bottled-up rage.

“He said he launched himself at her and grabbed her by the throat, taking her to the ground. When his attempt to strangle the life out of her did not work, he grabbed the nearby board and slammed it into her neck.

“He said he compared it to trying to ‘cut the head off of the snake.’ He told me that he knew what he was doing was illegal, but felt morally justified, and competent to make the decision that he needed to end her life. He felt it was a ‘mercy killing,'” the affidavit alleged.

Police found Chipman’s girlfriend in a back hallway at his residence where she was covered in blood, with a bloody board nearby, the affidavit said.

When the detective saw Chipman’s girlfriend at the Stillwater Medical Center emergency room, “She was gurgling as she struggled to breathe, even with medical assistance, and bloody fluid had to be suctioned from her lungs periodically. She was unable to speak at that time,” the affidavit said.

Chipman, who was in police custody at the emergency room, had scratch marks on his knees, shins, abdomen, knuckles and face, along with a black eye and a blistering burn to his left thigh that he said was a result of his girlfriend throwing hot coffee on him, the affidavit alleged.

Chipman’s girlfriend was transferred in critical condition to the OU Medical Center in Oklahoma City, a Stillwater police news release said.

About 18 months earlier, Chipman had admitted to abusing the same woman and possessing marijuana on March 15, 2017, court records show. For those misdemeanors, Chipman had been placed on one year’s probation with an order to have evaluations for domestic and substance abuse, as well as follow any recommendations, court records show.

Eight months later, the prosecution alleged Chipman had violated the rules of probation, for which he was arrested in April of 2018 and released on a personal recognizance bond. The next month when he failed to appear in court, a bench warrant was issued for his arrest that was still outstanding when he was taken into custody for allegedly attempting to kill the same woman on Labor Day of 2018, court records show.