By: Patti Weaver

(Stillwater, Okla.) — A 68-year-old Mulhall man avoided a jury trial this week by pleading guilty Tuesday to molesting the 6-year-old son of friends at their Stillwater apartment between Aug. 1, 2013, and May 31, 2014, court records show.

The defendant, Johnny Lee Graham, who underwent a court-ordered mental examination in 2019, had been found competent to stand trial on the felony charge punishable by three to 20 years in prison. Graham remains free on a personal recognizance bond.

Payne County Associate District Judge Stephen Kistler on Tuesday ordered a pre-sentencing investigation of Graham be performed by the state Department of Corrections and reset the case to Dec. 1 to see if the background report had been completed.

The molestation of the boy was reported to Stillwater police on March 3, 2015, by a female relative, who was awarded temporary guardianship of the boy and his two siblings, according to an affidavit by Detective Mary Kellison.

The relative said that the boy on Sunday, March 1, 2015, “told her he had been kissed on his ‘private parts’ by Johnny,” the affidavit said. The relative reported the allegation the next day to the Department of Human Services and then contacted the Stillwater Police Department, the affidavit said.

The boy “told her the incident occurred while his parents were away from the apartment,” while Graham was left with the boy and his siblings, the affidavit said.

The boy told his relative that Graham had “kissed him on his thing,” and then told him not to tell anyone what happened, the affidavit said.

Three years later in 2018, a Stillwater police officer was sent to the 300 block of N. Main Street near the skate park where the same relative said there was an open investigation of child molestation between the boy and Graham, the affidavit said.

The relative said that Graham was not supposed to be around the boy, the affidavit said.

The relative said “they were at the skate park over the weekend and she saw Johnny Graham watching them from nearby,” the affidavit said. She said that on March 22, 2018, she “observed Johnny Graham sitting in the parking lot to the east of the skate park watching them again,” the affidavit said.

The relative said “she called the police department as she was walking over to make contact with Johnny Graham and he left the area,” the affidavit said.

“Johnny Graham continues to park and watch (the boy) from a short distance while (the boy) is out playing in public parks,” according to allegations in the affidavit that was filed in 2018 with the charge.