By Patti Weaver


  (Cushing, Okla.) — An arrest warrant has been issued for a Cushing man accused of breaking into a shed in the 800 block of E. Moses in connection with the alleged theft of utilities.
    Jeffrey Dee Wilbur, 43, who previously lived in Tryon, could be given as much as a seven-year prison term and $10,000 fine if apprehended and convicted of second-degree burglary.
    Wilbur was identified as a suspect on video by Cushing Deputy Police Chief Nick Myers, Officer Kurt Alex McKean alleged in an affidavit.
    A homeowner reported on Nov. 8, 2021, “someone had been stealing utilities from his house from a neighboring residence,” the affidavit alleged.
    “When I arrived, (he) led me to a detached storage shed, which was in the back yard, which had an orange extension cord running out of it and into a back window of the residence,” next door, the officer alleged in his affidavit.
    The homeowner had disconnected the cord prior to the arrival of the officer, who attempted to make contact with the resident next door, but no one answered his repeated knocks, the affidavit alleged.
    “Sgt. Piatt, who was on scene with me at the time, requested the city water department come to the scene to examine the water well as he suspected the meter had been messed with. When the water department arrived, they observed the meter had been turned back on,” where the utilities had been disconnected, the officer alleged in his affidavit.
    “The water department seized the meter and left the scene,” but the officer was sent back a week later regarding the same situation at the same location, the affidavit alleged.
    “When I arrived, I again saw an extension cord running from the window into the detached shed,” next door, the officer wrote in his affidavit.
    “When I looked into the shed, I observed the outlet the cord was connected into was higher than arm’s reach and I also observed a chair beneath it.
    “Due to the layout of the shed and the back yard, it was impossible for someone to connect the extension cord into the outlet without fully entering the shed through the door,” the officer wrote in his affidavit.
    Again, when the officer attempted contact, no one answered the door, the affidavit said. “Sgt. Piatt and I seized the extension cord as evidence and left the scene,” the officer wrote in his affidavit.
    After they left, the homeowner sent police “a video from security cameras on the residence, which showed two males, who he advised resided (next door) arriving to find the extension cord disconnected. The video was taken shortly after the first incident,” the affidavit said.
    “In the video, one male looked at the cord, and peeked around the corner of the storage shed into the shed where the cord was at one time connected. The male was later identified as Jeffrey Dee Wilbur by Deputy Chief Nick Myers,” who was familiar with Wilbur from previous contact, the affidavit alleged.